There is no general cover-all fee to experience a Rotary Youth Exchange.
The Rotary District 9705 Youth Exchange Program charges a program fee, which includes airfares, insurance, visa application fees, pre-exchange training camps, and several other items.
We set the program fee following fare negotiations with airlines and insurance policy pricing changes.
The program fee covers the following:
- airfares and visas
- health, accident, travel, and property insurance
- two training weekends before commencing the exchange, plus a debriefing upon returning to Australia
- a blazer
- photo business cards.
The host Rotary Club abroad will provide the following:
- a monthly allowance roughly equal to AUD$150 per month
- school fees at a local public high school in the host country
- meals and accommodation at the host country’s official Rotary Club meetings and Rotary District events such as the Rotary District Conference.
The program fee does not include the following items:
- clothing and personal toiletries
- passport and additional travel (for example, group tours arranged by the Rotary Youth Exchange Program in the host country)
- souvenirs and gifts
- school excursions
- language tuition
- an emergency fund of approximately $500.
Feedback from parents of returned students is that the overall cost for the year is around AUD$13,000 to AUD$16,000.
Costs can vary significantly with the student, family and country of exchange. When considering the costs, parents should consider the cost of maintaining the student if they remain at home and attend school in Australia.